Sunday, June 6, 2010

Undone in Detroit

It's tough being a Midwesterner - where our stoic self-image is tied to the industries that now rust away. The Midwest; where the overall game plan is to keep a nice lawn and not be too burdensome on others. At least the South has its code, and while Midwesterners may flood to the South in search of a more "American" lifestyle, they will never truly be Southern. By contrast, any old fool from any part of the country - or world for that matter - can move to the Midwest, keep his head down, and eventually pass himself off as a Midwesterner. We're a nice people. A mostly unassuming tribe.

Do I aim to be constructive? My God, I don't know. I look at the world; I see bad, I see good. In a world where philosophy and polemics have been stripped of their value in favor of the Washington Consensus, where we are racing maniacally to produce more and more consumer products to create jobs, which in turn are supposed to raise living standards, yada yada yada. Everyday things get more automated, reducing the necessary human input. Is it not a losing battle? Buy American, I don't give a shit. 

No, no, this is not a political blog, nor an ironic, self-referential, self-loathing exercise. Let's just see what we can create, let's see if we can have a little fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment